Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Mountain Biking (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   free ride tire arrangement (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=140671)

true_till_what? 09-22-05 11:28 AM

free ride tire arrangement

i'm noticing that newer free ride bikes are putting a big gnarly tire up front and something a little smoother in the rear. anyone have any input as to why that would be? and what exactly are the pros and cons of the 24 inch set up in the back, as opposed to the 26 inch? thanks.

DMN 09-22-05 12:11 PM

Well running a 24 WHEEL (not tyre) at the back will give you more strength and acceloration(sp?) I presume, while keeping the ability to roll over objects by having a 26 upfront, but having a lower top speed, I think.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

true_till_what? 09-22-05 12:20 PM

okay, thanks for the wheel info. but it's the tire question that's really getting me - the smoother set up in back and nobby up front. wouldn't you want the grip in the rear from something a little burlier, rather than a smoothed out, more road friendly, set up?

shane45 09-22-05 12:34 PM

The front tire needs more traction. It does more of the braking work, as well as the steering.

DMN 09-22-05 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by shane45
The front tire needs more traction. It does more of the braking work, as well as the steering.

I run a smaller tyre (2.1) at the back at a higher psi to give good traction, and a wider tyre (2.3) at the front with a lower psi to give better cornering.

seely 09-22-05 05:21 PM

I find running a little narrower/less aggressive rear tire is a bit nicer in the corners. For freeride, I like big tires all around especially on my hardtail. Since I'm landing on the rear wheel most of the time I would hate to have a 2.1 on there.

snoopz666 09-22-05 06:43 PM

its way better with a smaller tire on the back. i run a 2.8 on the front and a 2.5 on the back and i love it. i rode a buddies bike with a 3.0 on the back and i didnt like it at all... it seem sluggish and weird in the corners. but then again it was a gazza on a big hit 24". so ya bigger on the front is much better. if you want suggestion id sat michilin, expensive but aweome, if not lots of proplr like maxxis highrollers

cod3man 09-22-05 08:54 PM

Running a 24 on the front is rough. Ever ride a bmx on a trail with roots? rough.
But a 24 will accelerate fast, handle well, lands great with fat tires. Dirt jumpers use em. It is all about purpose. It is becoming more popular to use a 29 up front now. As far as tread a nice slick rear will roll well, a tire with knobs and grip will hold your line. If your rear tire slides out no problem- if the front one slides out-pain.

Dannihilator 09-22-05 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by snoopz666
its way better with a smaller tire on the back. i run a 2.8 on the front and a 2.5 on the back and i love it. i rode a buddies bike with a 3.0 on the back and i didnt like it at all... it seem sluggish and weird in the corners. but then again it was a gazza on a big hit 24". so ya bigger on the front is much better. if you want suggestion id sat michilin, expensive but aweome, if not lots of proplr like maxxis highrollers

Alot of people now prefer the Minions to the High Rollers.