Old 04-03-10, 05:13 PM
robatsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
From the riv posting about the fork swap (in fact, it is the first sentence):

"When carbon forks fail, they do so suddenly, and you crash. It happens more frequently than anybody would like, especially riders and carbon fork makers."

I'm sure Mr. Petersen is very earnest about this crusade, but this lead-in in is disinformation at its worst (even if they mean it in earnest, and I give them the BOD).

Look, nobody wants carbon forks to fail (w/possible exception of Rivendell), so any amount of failures, even one, is more frequent than riders/cf fork makers would like.

I just can't believe that if this problem were endemic, that we wouldn't be hearing about big product liability judgments. And you can bet that if these judgments were out there, Mr. Petersen would be citing them in his article rather than citing anonymous cases happening "more than anyone would like".

Lets see some of the widows and orphans and some numbers about why this land is teeming w/them now - not just a few anecdotal cases, since those exist for virtually any bike frame construction.

This isn't something like asbestos or smoking, where the injury shows up decades later. You know you are hurting right when the fork breaks.

As for the Riv cult, I don't own one - I would perhaps if vintage frames were so much extremely cheaper. As for the part I can't swallow, it is the "raise your drop bars". Despite my advancing age/gut, I still like the bars at least an inch or two lower than the saddle.

Last edited by robatsu; 04-03-10 at 05:19 PM.