View Single Post
Old 10-20-10, 05:34 AM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Take into consideration your riding style. If you ride long rides (1 hour+), you'll want a firm(er) saddle. If you just tool around for 20-minute, short, relaxing rides, a posh saddle should do.

Get measured. Specialized (and some other saddle manufacturers) have a little gel pad that you sit on (a butt-meter). Your "sit bones" will leave indentations in the gel. Measure the width of these to find out how wide you'll want your saddle to be.

It will take a bit of time for your body to acclimate to the saddle and the saddle to "break-in" to your body's shape. So, look for shops that will allow you to try the saddles out and return them if you're not happy with them. As long as you don't damage them, you should be good. It takes me anywhere from 150--350 miles to decide if I'll like the saddle. The Specialized Toupe, for instance, I just never got accustomed to after 200-miles. So I returned it to the LBS before deciding on the Fiz'ik Arione a couple years ago within about 100-miles. This year, my new saddle, the Selle Italia TurboMatic, took even longer to get accustomed to (300-miles) but I now love it.

The C&A group is very big (no pun intended, but it sounded good) on the Brooks leather saddles. I've never tried them so can't give first-hand feedback, but someone will soon.