View Single Post
Old 10-22-10, 03:39 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Liked 326 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by nostalgic
I have not ridden my bicycle in the rain yet. I'm taking the bus today because there is a 60% chance of rain. I'm unsure as to how to ride in the rain, so...

Would it be best to wear a raincoat and poncho? Or what?
It depends on how hard you'll be riding, how hard it will be raining, and how cold it is out.

Where the answers are closer to riding hard, light rain, and not cold don't wear cotton, just ride, and put on dry clothes + shoes when you get where you're going. If you wear rain clothes you'll be hot and very wet from your sweat; if you don't you'll be between a little cool and comfortable, just damp except for a few wet spots, and a lot more comfortable.

Where the answers tend towards an easy spin, raining hard, and too cold a cycling rain jacket (with a long back flap and zips for ventilation), cycling rain pants (tight at the ankles), helmet cover, shoe covers, and gloves are nice.

I usually ride my 12 mile morning commute at a 140-150 bpm heart rate which is about as hard as I can go without being slower in the evening or next day. It was raining lightly this morning. The temperature was 55 degrees. So I wore a short sleeve jersey and cycling shorts. I need new cycling socks though - the cotton ones were like dirty wet sponges by the time I got to my office.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 10-22-10 at 03:55 PM.