View Single Post
Old 10-23-10, 10:07 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
That isn't rain that is a heavy, continuous mist...

I had that argument with a certain engineer that designed a roof drainage system. He was from Seattle and of course someone from Seattle knows all about rain. Problem is Seattle only gets about 36" spread out over the course of a year. I was working in Mobile, AL were the average rainfall is 68" and you usually get a lot of it at a single time. I won the argument.

As far as riding in the rain, I use a bike with roller brakes, run my lights, slow down, avoid certain routes and wear bright colored rain gear, typically a rain cape.

Aaron

Yes but if you take in the number of average rainy days, 150 or so, the number of cloudy days, 200+ and partly cloudy days 90+ they still have a firm grasp of rain. I used to ride a motorcycle from Seattle to Bellevue and I can remember getting home and my whole body was like your hands get when they have spent too much time in the water.

Last time I visited Alabama it was in the early summer when it was just about a humid as rain with no clouds in the sky, nothing like the west coast or the North West. I am planning on getting rain gear this year but I am not sure about fenders for my MTB. I guess I could get some snap-on fenders for my back up road bike? But I don’t start out in the rain I get caught in it and have to make my way home.