View Single Post
Old 10-30-10, 07:00 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The view fom my saddle; October 2010

This is a rather long post as I tried to summarize my entire month into this one post.

I started the month out healthy and feeling great. I also started the month out with a three-week vacation. It turned out to be a wasted vacation as the weather was really bad for the majority of the month, and I caught a nasty cold. For me a cold is usually a six-week event, fortunately I only catch one every three or four years. It wasn’t a total washout though and I was able to take advantage of a few nice days. Read on and I’ll try to share some of those experiences with you.

So I managed to start the month out with a nice little 50-mile ride on the Tour Easy. It had rained all day yesterday, Sept 30th but the sun popped out this morning. It was still quite windy from yesterday’s storm that had dumped up to 5 inches of rain on parts of the Finger Lakes Region of the state.

As you can see in the following pics at the beach the waves are really rolling in under the Lake Effect clouds that are starting to gather already.

The Charlotte Lighthouse looks nice with the clouds floating by….

Here’s a picture of some early signs of the foliage change along the Lake Ontario State Parkway trail. While I was stopped here, a Turkey flew by in the woods about 15 yards away. He sounded like a gobbling truck being hurtled through the trees!!

Here’s a couple of pictures of a sign that I’ve gone past at least 100 times. Today I actually saw it. Most might not agree but I found it to be very visually interesting.

By the time I rode up my driveway the sky was completely clouded over. We were preparing for some good old Lake Effect rain to add to the 1+ inch we had received yesterday. Fortunately it shouldn’t travel too far from the shores of Lake Ontario, as the mid sections of the state are still flooded from the day before!!

October 3rd: two rides today.
Started the day right with a 20 mile breakfast ride in a light rain.

Later in the day I made a 35 mile round trip to Hilton N.Y, a neighboring town. They were celebrating harvest with their annual Apple Fest http://www.hiltonapplefest.org/ .

It was quite a windy day as a small high-pressure system is kinda-sorta moving into the area (I hope). It was so windy that Fred’s wings were being blown straight up into air for almost the whole ride. If I’d have heard a “Wheeeeeee” like that little piggy does in that stupid T.V. commercial I’d have jumped right off of my moving bike and I would still be running!!!!

more.....