View Single Post
Old 01-03-11, 10:27 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Warm winter wear for small kids?

We're trying to bike with the kids throughout the winter on a semi-daily basis (riding to and from school, about 15-minutes each way), but our biggest obstacle remains keeping them warm. My wife and I are slowly getting ourselves properly equipped with lots of SmartWool layers and technical cycling caps and gloves, but we're having a hard time finding cycling-specific clothing for our 4- and 6-year olds (sizes 4T-6T).

Can anyone make some recommendations? What we need are:
  • headwear (they have bulky fleece balaclavas but they are too bulky and not as warm as adult technical material)
  • mittens (they have wool mittens which are inadequate in wind, and they have snow mittens which also are inadequate in wind)
  • warm socks, leggings, and shirt base layers (does anyone make wool base layers for kids?)

Right now, the kids have thick wool socks, but they're not really appropriate for cycling because they're so thick they're only fit in snow boots-- they're too bulky for their regular shoes. I have thin SmartWool socks that are perfect, but they don't come in kid sizes!

Any recommendations for brands or materials that work well on small kids is much appreciated!

For reference, here's what their current gear looks like, which is barely adequate for 15 minute rides on ~30F days. Notice how bulky it all is.

Last edited by southpawboston; 01-03-11 at 10:32 AM.