Old 02-24-11, 10:07 AM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ftwelder
These kits are quite expensive when compared to "commercial" versions. I like the idea of trying to make something better (from my standpoint) but I only do the construction. I would like to make an high-end aluminum product that is attractive to a segment of the market.

I know I can make a frame that can rival or best any aluminum frame made anywhere but that is really quite a small accomplishment when one considers the potential drawbacks of a custom purchase compared to the typical experience provided by "well rounded brands".

Are people looking for builders to push the envelope with these aluminum materials?
Cdale CAAD9/10, Specialized Allez E5, Felt FA, Trek 2.x... all light, stiff, lots of R&D put into these over the years, very optimized aluminum bikes.

These bikes have quite a reputation (as you can see in this forum) warranties, and widespread LBS support. Not trying to discourage you, but if you have innovation to contribute to the design, you really need to hedge on that, be aware of and fully address your competition.