View Single Post
Old 04-17-11, 10:34 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
I apologize in advance for far exceeding the one-line (sometimes one-word) average of Addiction.

Last month a friend of mine complained that she kept getting flats. I had her drop her bike off, did a thorough inspection of the rims, tires and tubes, gave it a quick tune-up, and then gave it back to her, mentioning that she should be riding between 90 - 100 psi.

Yesterday, we had our first opportunity to ride together. I rode to her house and when I arrived, asked if she had enough air in the tires. Her response was "Yep! Plenty! They're still full from when you pumped 'em up!" She even did the old thumb-squeeze on the tube and declared them hard...to which I responded "That's because you're pushing the tire all the way to the rim!". I put on the floor pump, which read "20" in each tire, and got them up to pressure for her. Surprisingly...no flats on the ride!

As an aside, my ride was 41 miles but because I rode 25 of it with her, most of it at a much slower pace than normal, I was able to fly on the final 8 miles after dropping her off. Typically the last 8 of that ride is when I suffer the most.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)