View Single Post
Old 06-22-11, 05:41 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
Has anyone mounted a Wald 215 rear rack to a Raleigh 3-speed Sports with fenders? It looks like a nice rack, classic lines, but I am not sure it would clear the rear fender.

Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/Wald-Rear-Moun.../dp/B001EL7OXU
Huh, cool coincidence I took a trip to my LBS yesterday looking for a rack, and this was the only one they had that mounted to the brake bridge. Anyways, I installed it on my Gitane with 27" wheels and it went on without a problem....I didn't even need to bend the bracket at all. The bracket is plenty strong and stable, and I carried a sawzall to my dad's house with no problems yesterday....~15lbs. I believe it's spec'd to carry over 25lbs

Back to your question, lol. It will have plenty of clearance to fit, but you may have to bend the attachment bracket to get it to sit level. And it's steel, so of course it's heavy. The mounting bolts are cheap, so I used allen bolts for the stays, and a beefier bolt for the bracket (with a locknut) One more very important note: you'll have to supply your own reflector

@Aaron: wonder how it didn't fit? Maybe there are more than one size of these Wald racks? If it fits on a 27" bike, how would it not fit on a 26" Sports? weird.