Old 07-23-11, 09:49 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5916 Post(s)
Liked 2,787 Times in 1,557 Posts
The star nut is inside the fork, and can stay there, but has nothing to do with the stem. Depending on the angle you might gain some height by inverting the stem, or replacing it with one with more rise - the rise angle will be 17 degrees + the stem angle, so a 17 degree stem will rise at 34 degrees (or be horizontal with the angle down).

If you still need more height there are a few builders what will make you a high angle stem, but that can be very pricey.

There's no real of thumb for bar height, though most would agree that saddle height or lower is preferred. I t's really about getting a comfortable position. If you can gain more height by flipping the stem, do so. Otherwise I suggest visiting a knowledgeable dealer and getting a fit consult before spending any serious dough on new hardware.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.