View Single Post
Old 08-20-11, 11:38 AM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I read the flyer and it has some good information. Where is the call to action? Where is the solution to these problems? Does this flyer have a back page or is this the front and back page side by side?

There needs to be a list of solutions to these problems to show something can be done about it. You can either choose just one solution to focus attention or offer several and hope some stick in the minds of the readers.

If there is no new law or proposal happening in government at the time that can be supported by the people, then this flyer is a waste of time unless you have deep pockets to put them out regularly to capture the minds of the citizens. It usually takes a minimum of three views of something for it to register with people using direct mail. More often it takes seven views to make an impression.

All of us working together could come up with at least five points of change to show people something could be done to help with this problem. Not all neighborhoods are as segregated as gated island communities. Solutions would work better for some than others.

What would we do to alleviate the problems of sprawl?

1. Support zoning changes to allow mixed use businesses and housing to coexist within the same neighborhood.
2. Support zoning changes to allow housing and businesses to exist within the same building.
3. Support better mass transit, whether it is for more routes or just more trips on existing routes.
4. Support bicycle lanes and bicycle parking to alleviate parking problems.
5. Mandate all on street parking spots have 24 hour parking meters which can change the fees according to peak needs.
6. Support the creation of bridges or other crossings so pedestrians and bicyclists can cross main roads safely without having to deviate miles to reach their destinations.
7. Remove the minimum parking spaces requirement for businesses if they supply more bicycle parking spaces.
8. Give businesses greater tax credits if they give employees bus passes or cash for riding their bicycles, or carpool.
9. Repeal zoning regulations that have minimum lot sizes and minimum dwelling sizes so that smaller more affordable housing can be created everywhere.

Those are some of the things I remember being discussed on this forum and in others. What am I forgetting to put down?

I actually would love to see every other suburban neighborhood street torn up and have houses or apartments built in their place. People could use the sidewalks to get to the next main road to catch the bus or use other transportation methods. The end of the street could be used as a parking lot. It would require all the people on the street to accept the fact that they couldn't park their cars in their driveways anymore, but their neighborhoods would be quieter and more friendly. I doubt it would happen in many places unless the city gave the residents a cash payment for the change. After all, the city owns the street and the land from the sidewalk to the street. The city could also wave any restrictions on converting car garages into other uses as an additional incentive.

Last edited by Smallwheels; 08-20-11 at 06:25 PM.