View Single Post
Old 11-25-11, 05:19 PM
borobike
Dept. store bike bandit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, okay. For some reason I was thinking there was a difference between the T and the G suffix on the two.

For where I am, I really do need the 28 though...maybe even more but I suspect that would require a change in the derailleur. Even on the Denali, which is much lighter, feels like it needs something lower than the 26 cog it has. We've got hills that aspire to be mountains in places around here.

Thermionic: I really want a Brooks! It'll depend on how much funds I have around Christmas.

I went around on the Denali for a little bit last night, which helped me gain a little perspective on the differences between the two bikes.

I feel like the Denali is laid out more aggressively. It's much twitchier, and I felt like I was pushed further forward on it. Mostly in the pedal area, I felt like the pedals were more underneath me than on the Sovereign. I've got the two bikes side by side right now and looking at them this way confirms this. The Denali's seat tube is closer to vertical than the Sovereign's.

Sovereign definitely takes rough pavement more smoothly. Combination of the aluminum frame, straight forks, and skinny tires on the Denali make it rattle a bit over rough pavement.

Denali rides and accelerates much more quickly. I feel like the positioning helps with this as well as the lighter weight. It's very noticeable.

I've found that I wear out faster on the Sovereign than on the Denali. I really need to work on pacing myself. The bike weighs more and isn't laid out as aggressively and I need to remember that when trying to ride longer distances if I want it to be my long distance bike. I rode 50 miles on it a couple of weeks ago, yesterday I rode it 10 miles but without others to help pace me and I wore myself out because I couldn't keep myself from riding full throttle.

There are a few other things of course but that's the big differences. Still thinking about putting a stock Denali seat back on the Denali for now.

Last edited by borobike; 11-25-11 at 05:24 PM.