View Single Post
Old 12-14-11, 10:55 PM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kanegon
That's why I'm trying to keep the 28s on it, because there are cracks and potholes out there that would rip the guts out of a 23C tire, given the right angle and timing. On bike friendlier routes like bike paths, 23Cs are the way to go, but it's not hard to stray into gravel, dirt and broken glass, as I did a couple of weeks ago, looking for a more scenic route to the beach. BTW, I think Manhattan is making huge progress with bike paths; you can practically circle the island! Hell, there seems to be a cycling boom, I even read a bicycle fender review in the New York Times!

And you need the fenders to keep toxic sludge off your face when riding over puddles.
If you really want to keep those 28s, you might consider getting a rain/snow bike if you have the space in your apartment. On the rain/snow bike, get a set of fatties, at least 32s and roll with it. My Fuji has 28s on it, and I even think that they are a bit small. I prefer my 32s on the Kona, but there's no way I'm parking that on the street in Manhattan ever again (handlebars were stolen around Labor Day). Both bikes have fenders and my Univega is waiting to get its upgrades too.

Manhattan is making huge progress with the bike paths. Now, if we could make some progress with the cops! One pulled up behind me and "wooped" (half a siren) the other day because he wanted to make an illegal right turn in the city.

The fender review in the NYT kills me. Who would ever go to the NYT for bike stuff**********?