SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky velocist
This is an incredibly insufferable, intolerant, domineering and delusional view. I smoked for 15 years, and cycling helped counter-act most of the worst effects to my lungs as compared to my non-cycling friends I begin smoking with in high school. A peer group, literally and specifically speaking.

As a matter of fact it was SMOKING, yes CIGARETTES which initiated my first daily bike commuting habits: as 15 year olds, some neighbors and I needed a way to get from school to the store which sold us cigarettes back to home, and we needed the freedom to smoke in the first place.

During this period of heightened activity, I lost my spare tire, got fit for the first time in my life, and outgrew my allergies/asthma. All the hill climbing did far, far more good for me than simply not smoking & also not riding on a daily basis.

I kicked the habit, 4-5 months ago. Cycling was key: It burned off the calories from all the additional sweets I was eating, and it took my mind off of my smoking craving.

During my time as a smoking cyclist, I was faster than (most) other riders in NYC parks, I commuted farther than (most) other cyclists to work amoungst the small towns where I now live, I crested mountains and accomplished a couple centuries.

Like you, I consider my health and environment to be important. Smoker or not, cycling improved both.

Not all cyclists & non-smokers want to have anything to do with you, however, and you can count me in both groups.
Your adjectives pale in the face of the stark reality of what smoking really is... To put it more simply. Smoking is just plain stupid! I think most smokers would agree with me when I say this, because that's who I hear it from for the most part.

Now, if you think that smoking has some type of meritous, noble, or redeemable characteristics, then I would dare say that you sir, are incredibly delusional. Furthermore, that being the case, your views are not only void of truth and scientific fact, they are also dim-witted and symptomatic of the type of ignorance that I personally find quite intolerably repugnant.

Have A Nice Day!

PS.

Thanks for quitting...

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-09-12 at 05:32 PM.