Old 04-06-12, 09:49 AM
Average Killer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Also, for all the folks who think the driver is so evil:

Where did you want to driver to stop on that road after the clip? No shoulder, and high odds of the driver getting himself , the cyclist, and other drivers injured by parking a car in the only open lane of a 35mph roadway, especially if he jumps out of his car and starts mucking around in the road after the clip.

I don't know what he should have done, but it's not unreasonable to think that in the panic of the post-hit situation, that the driver may have made a snap judgment to drive to the end of the bridge to pull over the vehicle and walk back. Even after the bus stopped him, I'm not sure it would be a clear decision to get out of the car on that roadway - doing that instantly changes the situation from a one-potential death hazard (cyclist) to a multiple death hazard (cyclist, driver, and other people trying to help in the middle of a 35mph roadway where approaching traffic is not yet stopped by a cop.)

Also, was the driver speeding? Swerving? No. He might have been texting, sure, but we have no evidence of that. Was he driving terribly? I'd also say no - he just happened to be a hair too close on a tight pass, with a cyclist who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. How many times do we drivers have to deal with that situation with no shoulder, cyclist in the MIDDLE (not right) of the lane, and several cars backed up? I'd bet you put 1000 drivers on that road in that situation, and a shockingly high percentage of these perfectly good drivers would clip that cyclist just the same.
Was he driving terribly???? I'd have to say he was. Watch the video again. At the 22 second frame you see the bus, then the silver car, then the black car (the one that eventually hits the guys) all in the right lane. At the end of that clip you notice that the black car jumps into the left lane to pass the silver car. The next clip is the accident scene with the bus in the left lane, the black car rear ending the cyclist, and then the silver car. I may not be a rocket scientist, but even I can figure this one out. The 17 year-old wanted to pass both the silver car and the bus but the bus moved over and he cut back over into the right lane to pass the bus. I live in PA and the last time I checked the left lane was for passing not the right.