View Single Post
Old 06-18-12, 09:23 PM
Shawn Gossman
Super Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update... The other day I rode my very first organized bike ride (Superman Bike Ride - Metropolis, IL). I chose to do the 60 mile ride because it was the highest and I wanted a challenge. I only accomplished 45 miles... At first, I was a bit disappointed in myself because I failed to do what I set out to accomplish. There were a lot of older folks doing the 60 miles and here I am a 27 year old who quit early... However, one cyclist assured me that I shouldn't be upset with myself. He said I worked harder than everyone there because I was riding a big heavy mountain bike on the road and everyone else was on road bikes. My friend from down south also rode the 60 and he told me he was amazed I made 45 miles out of it. So I am not so upset now... The funny thing was, I was at least 10 miles behind everyone else, haha. It was a weird experience though, getting chased by dogs, cars and semis flying past you and the occasional group of punks laughing at you for being clad in Lycra LOL. However, I enjoyed it a lot! I just started a gym membership so I can get into spinning now. It was a lot of fun and I got a great tan! I know one thing that saved me... the jersey I bought, those three extra pockets in the back are great for carrying a bunch of water bottles

Before the organized ride, get this -- I am sure many of you will giggle at this, haha. I was going to night ride from my town to another but riding on a rural country highway freaked me out a bit because drivers not seeing you until they are right up on you regardless of my bike lights... Anyways, I decided to ride down this old country road outside of town, its a rough road but I have a good mountain bike so I thought, bring it on... I get all the way to the end (its a dead end gravel farm road) and then get halfway back (about 4 miles from my house) and POP, chain snaps off and I cannot repair it... I am 4 miles away from home, its 2:00 AM and I am out in the boonies, alone. So as I start pushing my bike, I hear the most God awful growl right next to me... Scared to death, I turn my bike light to the woods next to me and not even but 3 feet from me are eye glaring at me and more growling. It had to either be a coyote or a wild mean freaking stray dog! But we also have had cougar sighting around here as well! I couldn't see really what it was because I was running for dear life, I got myself and my bike going fast by running that I got to a downhill slope, jumped on the bike and coasted all the way back to the city roads. Had I of had my pistol, I'd of unloaded it into those woods LOL. I didn't have nothing though, would of been an easy treat for whatever the beast was... maybe it was a yeti! :-|

Anyways, that's my new cycling tales