Thread: In love!
View Single Post
Old 06-19-12, 08:01 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Liked 645 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn Gossman
I think I need a new seat because I am very sore.
I think that finding the "right" saddle is a hunt and peck process. It's personal too. What works for one rider might feel like a picket fence to another. Some thoughts, some of which which may be counter-intuitive:

1. Don't be afraid to fool around with the adjustment of the saddle you have. It'll move up-down, front-back, tip up-down and even angle side-to-side. The best saddle in the world won't be comfortable unless it's adjusted properly to you.

2. Unless you have your seat way too low, wide saddles look like a better deal than they really are. Your leg straightens as you pedal and the back of your leg pushes you forward. Even though the saddle may be wide in back, you aren't using that part. You're only using the narrow front part of the seat. A narrower saddle lets you use the whole seat.

3. Lots of padding sounds like a good idea but cyclists who ride a lot generally use seats that don't have much. In my case, the issue is "numb manhood". The padding compresses at your butt's high spots and pushes against the nerves and blood vessels that are normally protected. A firmer saddle lets your body protect itself in the way that it's designed.

For me personally, the solution is spelled "Brooks" but they're expensive and, even at that, they don't work for everybody. Good luck.