Old 07-23-12, 09:36 AM
Ferdinand NYC

Bikes: Giant road bike

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Yes. The area is clear for both Bridges and they are breath taking. As I said in the previous response, you enter from Lincoln Park and go through a fence which is always open. The Jersey City portion is clear and safe becuase it's broad for two cyclists. I wish the whole trip was like that and the Newark side does not more work. I can only recommend taking the path during the day and not at night.

Once you reach the end of the second bridge, you have to down the ramp to Doremus Avenue. Once you do that ride about 2 miles to Wilson Avenue and this will lead you to Newark. I don't ride down the ramp but look for the stairs. They are in disrepair and dangerous but it can be done if you do it SLOWLY! You'll have to lift your bike over a 3 foot guard rail but this is probably the only hard part of the trip.

Cool! Thanks for the reply. I might just try this tomorrow, when I am off from work.

Sorry to be a noodge, but I just want to be clear: the ramp that you say to avoid is at Newark, leading to Doremus Avenue? And the guard rail is near the stairs that you say to use instead of the ramp?

Also: is it not possible to go north on Doremus, to get to Raymond Blvd., rather than going south to Wilson?

The most important question: does the fact that I'd be lifting my bike over a rail mean that this is someplace where bikes are not allowed? (I really don't want to get a ticket!)

My hope was to go north after Newark, and then to come back to the George Washington Bridge via another route. Some of the other crossings of the Hackensack River seem doable. (I imagine that it might be sensible to start a northbound leg within Harrison, via the 4th St. Bridge from Newark, so as not to have to deal with the Passaic River.)

But the obstacle seems to be that creek that's an offshoot of the Hackensack River, the one in Fort Lee. (Google Maps does not label it; but I now see in Bing Maps that it is called Overpeck Creek.) The Street View shows that there is no shoulder DeGraw St. / Ft. Lee Rd.; so that's out. I guess the only way would be to go up and around that darn thing, right?

Anyway, I am still checking things out on the map, checking the milage and also the accessibility of various streets. But, any thoughts or suggestions from you (Steve) or from anyone else who's been there would be most welcome.

Thanks for helping a newbie on the forums.