View Single Post
Old 08-13-12, 06:52 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 2,593 Posts
I think randonneuring is hard enough that I don't actively recruit people to do it. The fact that I do it probably does make people think about doing it themselves. Setting up a couple permanents are definitely on my to-do list.

The funny thing is that for me, 200k is probably the hardest distance. With few exceptions, once I hit 100 miles I'm good to go. When I finally realized that was happening every ride it was very empowering. I remember my first 300k and realizing that I only had 60 miles and feeling like I could ride forever, that will stick with me. The feeling that I rode way the hell out somewhere in the boonies and I'm going to have to ride back under my own power is a little scary, no doubt. But now I have confidence that I can do it.

My history is that I read an article about PBP in Bicycling or Bike World back in the '70s. It stuck with me as something that would be neat to do. I actually was hung up a little about lights. I started randonneuring in 2008 when I realized I was going to have to get in a lot better shape to ride PBP.

I was just looking at the route of the TC1200k. It goes from Greensboro N.C. to up near my childhood home in Virginia and back on the first day. If you had asked me if you could do that in one day when I was racing, I would have thought it was crazy. Now it looks like a difficult day, but doable. I wish I had realized that back then, looks like a great ride.
Likes For unterhausen: