View Single Post
Old 08-14-12, 05:27 AM
skiffrun

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
You keep your own score in golf, you call your opponents hits out in tennis, those are two that come to mind immediately. Sure people can cheat, sometimes do cheat, but it's not assumed they will cheat.

Whatever, you don't need to internalize this matter. The OP jokingly asked for the other side of the story, and if you don't like hearing it maybe you should get off the computer, yo.
"You keep your own score in golf"
Not really. The only time you keep your own score in golf is when it is equivalent to a bicycle JRA. As soon as it becomes a real competition, your opponent or a judge is keeping your score, or keeping a duplicate score, and if you sign your score-card with a wrong stroke count on it, you are disqualified.

"you call your opponents hits out in tennis"
Again, true if you are engaging in a pick-up match or in the early rounds of small tournaments and organized competitions. However, once the level of the tournament gets a bit more serious, judges make those calls.

Ditto every sport I can think of, including basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, hockey.

That "[t]he OP jokingly asked for the other side of the story" is sorta' true -- I'm not sure I think the word "jokingly" is the right adjective -- but your response did not show anything "joking" in it. It seemed to be nothing but vitriol. Usually I skate over the vitriol-filled posts because the writer seems mostly interested in having "fun" by making others angry. Some people do that in person -- I can think of a cyclist in NC that does that -- but it is easier to do on the big interweb -- no chance anyone will literally bash you over the head. Homey sometimes will virtually bash one over the head on here.

Finally, anyone with the word "French" in their self-chosen handle that complains about rules -- that is a contradiction in terms. Since 1792, the French have been all about "scientific rules"; prior to 1792, the French were overwhelmed with "capricious rules". So ... they've always been about rules.

Embrace your handle.

Last edited by skiffrun; 08-14-12 at 05:42 AM.