View Single Post
Old 08-22-12, 07:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18589 Post(s)
Liked 16,075 Times in 7,546 Posts
Don't think I have cut out anything completely. I certainly eat less "junk food" like pizza, hoagies and cheesesteaks than I did when I got my heaviest in college and then dropped 90 lbs. in 9 months solely through diet change and exercise. I also nearly eliminated what my GF calls "white food." Stuff like potato and macaroni salad. I eat very little processed foods. Rather, I cook mostly from "scratch," with fresh ingredients. For example, tonight is grilled wild sockeye night. Will probably have a tomato salad and a fresh, whole wheat olive roll to go with it. It really helps if you like to experiment in the kitchen. Too many people think making a healthy, flavorful meal is difficult. It really isn't. Epicurious.com is a great resource for recipes.

One thing that I am sure has given me an advantage is that I have never really had a sweet tooth. When I was a kid, there was always dessert in the house because my mother and sister loved that sort of stuff. I ate it because it was there. Ever since I have lived on my own, I rarely eat dessert-type foods like ice cream, cake and pie. One major exception to that is when I am doing week-long+ unsupported tours. I usually have a slice of pie and/or a milk shake along the way, but I have earned it.