Old 09-05-12, 02:55 AM
Cookiemonsta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it hard to recommend secondhand/craigslist for anyone new into road cycling. I don't know how knowledgeable you are, but I imagine most people starting out do not even know what frame size they should be riding. In my opinion, spend the extra money and get some advice at a good bike shop, try some different models, and find out what you like.

The only time I would recommend getting something 2nd hand of a random stranger is if you buy something cheap, just to see whether you even enjoy cycling, or if there are specific things you are after that you can not get from the shops (like vintage models). Anything 1000+, even someone like me who owns multiple bikes and has a pretty good grasp on what he likes..... I would go to a shop. That said, it is up to you. Some people have had great success buying second hand. Just know that there is some degree if risk involves. The biggest risk, is not that the bike is not ok, but that the bike is not the one you needed.

You can get better components for a given amount of money secondhand, but in my experience that is still secondary to bike fit and having control over maintenance of the bike.

Last edited by Cookiemonsta; 09-05-12 at 03:01 AM.