View Single Post
Old 10-01-12, 04:44 PM
milmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Actually "free market" is just anarchy applied to business rather than (non) government...
I was responding to your earlier post in which you equated anarchy and free markets: "If the "free market" solved everything then Somalia should be heaven on earth and Libya an economic superpower, because there's no government interference in much of anything in those places at the moment."

Even a not so careful reading of what I said should make clear that I was arguing that instead of free markets being enabled or enhanced by political anarchy they are in fact dependent on order brought about by government (enforced private property rights, protection of contracts and intellectual property, the rule of law). A fairly good discussion of this is in "Why Nations Fail", a recent best seller by a pair of economists from Harvard and MIT.

A free market is not an anarchic market (which is a contradiction in terms, and even if one existed it would have the lifespan of a Higgs Boson), just as being a free people is not necessarily living under political anarchy.