View Single Post
Old 12-11-12, 06:49 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3466 Post(s)
Liked 2,840 Times in 2,002 Posts
Originally Posted by arimajol
I'm not trying to blame the seller, just frustrated that I got these wheels because my old rims were shot and breaking spokes and now these are, too. Also disappointed in myself because I paid a little more than I wanted and wasn't strong enough to walk away.

The spokes have all broken at the rim, inside the nipple. They rims are 700c MA40's. The tension seemed goofy a few weeks ago, not long after having a spoke replaced. I laterally trued it up and some of the non-drive side were still really loose, so I tightened every spoke up 1/4 turn.

While I can laterally true pretty well, I don't have a tension meter. Is the best thing to untension the wheel to see if the rim is deformed?
Not the seller's fault you agreed to a price you later regret.

The goofy tension, then re-tension is the flag for me, add to that only turning the wheel laterally. There is no specified mechanic on these wheels who did the repair. Truing wheels is becoming a lost art in observing many shop mechanics, the new rims are very strong, (and heavy) and most come built up to the shop. No need to learn the zen of wheel building and repair.

A wheel with under tensioned spokes that have work hardened with load, unload over time is a stage for breaking spokes.

Some guys just ride "heavy" which does not have anything to do with their mass. Not saying this is you, but I could tell on the club rides who was going to be a frequent shop wheel work customer.

Unlace the wheel, new spokes and when the rim is loose inspect for deformation, lateral and concentric (you will only see the worst of lows or highs). If you need to do both, I would consider swapping the front / rear if they pass the test. I will reuse rims for myself, but I have also torn wheels apart when 1/3 of the way into it the used rim is too far out of whack for that stage of the build. I could have finished it but it was not going to be a good wheel.

Lastly, if you are not a confident wheel builder, start with fresh rims. Your hair and blood pressure is worth more.