Old 01-13-13, 08:25 PM
Lenton58 

Bikes: Vitus 979, Simplon 4-Star, Woodrup, Gazelle AB, Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Though I really liked my early eighties ALAN, I did find it to be very flexible, too flexible for a guy of my weight. The bike was very light, for a vintage steed, but far too fragile for daily rough and tumble. I would never consider subjecting it to the wide temperature variance that the Thunder Bay winters bring, let alone the presence of road salt. Just an old guy's opinion, of course, and this is what my ALAN looked like before I sent it to the far east...
In terms of my experience with my Vitus, I agree with you. I'm only 165 lbs or so, but if I stand in a higher gear I get chain whip. Compared to other frames, this one needs a bit more attention in traffic, and you do not want to find yourself "tram-lining" in grooves on the road with buses next to you. But I love to get on the bike-path in the marsh and feel it respond! Perhaps it is safe to say that the Alan has some of the same character.

The similarity of colour is a factor, but is it not striking how similar these two machines look? Randy — I sure like you pic better than mine!