View Single Post
Old 01-24-13, 02:20 PM
magohn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
What's that steep looking climb at about 45 miles in? That looks daunting to me. I climb Capitol Hill/First Hill every work day or school day, but that still looks tough.

I'm toying with the idea of doing the STP this year, but it's more likely I'll do it sometime in the next few years. It didn't appeal to me before last year. When I caught a little coverage of it on the local news and they mentioned that 10,000 riders were taking place my interest was piqued! I had no idea it was that it was that large. The thought of riding with that many other people sounds like quite the experience! I understand there are downsides with so many riders and it being so crowded and lots of them being new, rusty, or inconsiderate, but I'm thinking it is something I'd like to experience. It'd definitely be a two day thing for my slow, heavy self, but I think it'd be nice to camp with a bunch of other cyclists doing it. I tour a little bit anyway, so I think I might do it fully loaded for an overnighter.

One thing I'm having a oddly hard time finding is the cost of the event. How much is registration?
Its not that bad of a hill - its gets to about 6-8% grade for a mile or so. Its a fun ride. Im slow too and the amount of "On your Left's" was the only annoying part as everyone overtook me

Im a Cascade member and paid $95 for the ride, I believe. The ride is well supported with plenty of assistance and good food. More details here:

https://shop.cascade.org/content/events/stp

It sells out fast though!

Last edited by magohn; 01-24-13 at 02:23 PM.