View Single Post
Old 03-29-13, 05:48 AM
norwegianwood
Enthuasiast

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1988 Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently planning an extensive three month bicycle tour for the summer of 2014. I was wondering if my lugged 531 steel '86 Raleigh Gran Prix would be an acceptable bicycle. The pedalling would be between sixty and eighty miles a day. I have used the bicycle on Ragbrai and had no problems, soreness, or stiffness. The frame has the appropriate braze on mounts for touring gear. I would rather not buy a new bicycle, as I plan on flying back from my end destination, and although I love my bicycle to an unhealthy degree, I am afraid it will not be returning with me. I put over a thousand mile on this bike and the only trouble I've had was with the wheels (mostly broken spokes) which I intend to replace. The rear deraileur has been replaced with a shimano 600. I believe the geometry of this bike is relaxed enough for my journey but would like a few more opinions. Also of note, this bicycle is only a twelve speed, and any information regarding the ease or difficulty of converting it to an eighteen would be appreciated.