View Single Post
Old 03-31-13, 07:59 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmeisky
I have been on the hunt for a new bike and settled on either a Salsa Vaya or Surly Disc Trucker. After seeking out shapes that had access to both I stumbled on Garrisons Cyclery in Centerville, DE. I was greeted as soon as I stepped in by the owner, Rob. From there he provided me with literally the greatest customer service experience I have ever had when buying ANYTHING. Thorough, informative, and not pushy in the slightest. He fit me for frame size and from there we discussed every tiny little detail of the bike I would be buying. Other customers stopped in while we were working on the build and he treated each and every one like long time friends. One fellow was leaving for a touring trip and ad to pick the bike up tomorrow morning (easter) and Rob was coming in even though the shop was closed to do a fitting for him. He gave me a top to bottom tour of the whole place all the while pointing out options for my build in every single price range. He is EXTREMELY knowledgeable while never coming across as a know it all or a bike snob. Every other retail establishment should take notes. This shop is the real deal. I can't sing it's praises enough. If you are in the area check it out without hesitation.

http://www.garrisonscyclery.com/index.php
I'm actually in Delaware (for the weekend). I grew up here but now live in West Virginia. I've never heard of Garrison's but I'll have to make a mental note to visit them some other time.

I'm also really happy with my LBS, Eastern Panhandle Bicycle Company. The owner, Brian, is very knowledgeable and just provides great service. His staff and him ALWAYS take time to answer questions and spend A LOT of time with each customers who step through the door. They remember their customers on a first-name basis and greet everyone who steps into the shop. They've gut me a lot of breaks on not only bicycles but equipment, and just go above and beyond to ensure a positive purchasing/bicycle ownership experience. If you purchase a bicycle and don't like it, they will take care of you and make sure you wind up with something you DO like.

I really like Wooden Wheels in Newark, Delaware. I got my first really nice bike (GT Pro Performer) at Wooden Wheels and shopped them again when looking for a road bike a few years back. They were also friendly and big helps.

Out of the many LBSes I've visited, I've only been less than impressed with two of them, which were (un)ironically different locations of the same "chain." At the one location the owner answered questions but just didn't seem overly enthusiastic about being helpful. While he did stick around, it was clear he didn't really want to answer any questions or take the extra time for questions. I'm sure he just wanted to sell us a bike and get rid of us. The other location was even worse. The owner of that store complained he didn't want to lower the seat on one of the bikes so I could try it out. The seat was far too high but he complained the seat-post would get scratched, yet he wanted me to buy this bike. While he finally lowered the seat, he just grumbled about it. I took the Trek Cobia out and really liked it but I wasn't about to give this dingbat my business. Unfortunately, there wasn't another game in town as far as Trek was concerned, so I just looked to other brands.