View Single Post
Old 04-13-13, 09:09 PM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Pine Barrens Century

Well, I finally did it! Today I finally rode my first century. Yesterday I drove up to rhm's place to drop something off and since we had been trying to find an opportunity for a ride, this provided the perfect opportunity.

We rode out shortly after 5 AM in the brisk morning air and managed to get into the pine barrens fairly early, where the traffic was mostly light or nonexistent, and continued southward until we encountered a sand road that appeared in good enough condition to traverse in the bicycles. Of course, we didn't count on parts of the road being covered in flowing water, but that afforded an opportunity for adventure when we got off the bikes, removed our shoes and waded the bicycles through the water until the road reappeared.

In any case, we both had a great time and I managed to achieve one of my bicycle related goals for the year. Up next: my first brevet. We'll see how soon that one gets checked off the list...

Pine Barrens Century - 2 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 3 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 4 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 5 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 7 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 8 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 9 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 11 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 14 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr

Pine Barrens Century - 15 by Sallad Rialb, on Flickr