genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13659 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
And you're from Houston! I've been assured a number of times on this forum by various folks that the only reason VC works for me is because I live in San Diego, and, in particular, not in Houston. (Gene, are you reading this thread?)

Anyway, we have self-proclaimed vehicular cyclists who unanimously claim little if any problems with motorists, and others who claim having problems daily, or almost daily.

Hmm...
Read posts 12 and 13...

And RE Houston, sure there are quiet neighborhoods, just as not everyone in San Diego has to use Miramar road or 5 south in their commute.

Loved this little explaination:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
In other words, if faster traffic is behind a vehicular cyclist, he will generally keep to the right to facilitate their passing (and hence not get cursed-out, aggressively honked at, nearly run off the road), unless there is an obviously good reason to not do so. And if it's not obvious, the VC will communicate with the motorist behind him, mostly with smiles, hand gestures and body language, to aid the motorist in understanding why it is not safe and/or reasonable for the cyclist to move over at that time.
Gee, just sounds just like a few weeks ago when I was generally keeping to the right, in my own lane, on west bound Clairemont Mesa Blvd, on a quiet Sunday morning with the two left adjacent lanes wide open, and along comes mr. motorist... right behind me (never mind the empty lanes) and honks.

I communicated with mr. motorist and asked what the problem was... I was not "far enough over to the right."

Three lanes of road, I am in one lane and the other two are empty, I am avoiding parked cars which are just up ahead of me... and yet this jerk comes up and honks.

"Not far enough to the right."

Seems to me the real problem was he was not far enough to the left.

I could not have been more VC, and yet... this happens... I guess my only other recourse would have been to simply not be there, then the road would have been completely empty, for mr. motorist.

BTW for the record, there are no bike lanes on Clairemont Mesa Blvd... anywhere. And yes, this was a rare incident... but why did it occur at all? That's the part that sticks with me.