View Single Post
Old 06-08-13, 03:47 PM
pwebb

Bikes: Mash Work, Gunnar Crosshairs, Velo Orange Camargue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
City SPD shoes/pedal combos

Good afternoon folks,

Couple questions regarding city SPD compatible shoes (Chrome & DZR mainly) and subsequent pedal combo's. My squirrel and I have both been and are currently riding clips/straps set-ups on our bikes. I need some new shoes for bike riding purposes and her physical therapist wants her to try clipless out (she's about 14 months out from tearing her ACL) so we've both been looking at Chrome and DZR shoes as an option for various reason. I couldn't find anything thread wise that recently addresses this, so I'm just gonna ask here and we can all proceed to discuss.

First I just wanted to know if anyone had some first hand opinions on either brands, Chrome or DZR, SPD compatible shoes. (Scrod, your thoughts would be appreciated since your store is gonna carry both ya?) There seems to be more info out there on the chrome shoes, and they also seem easier to procure for less than MSRP, so that's what I'm leaning towards currently but would love some BFSSFG knowledge before I purchase anything.

Mainly though I need some help with choosing pedals. I was thinking that I'd just get a pair of SPD's for the lady and her 10 speed, but am not sure if there is a specific style cleat I would need that fits this type of shoe or if something simple such as this would work:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SH51-S.../dp/B000R2MYB4

Also what style pedal might one recommend for a first time clipless set up that isn't gonna blow up my bank account, since this will be her first personal clipless setup. I was only thinking SPD because they seem to be the crowd favorite for road-riding and the 2nd hand market is pretty strong.

After researching on the topic, I'm leaning towards a Time Atac set-up for myself since people seem to lean towards those for fixed gear clipless riding and I have used them on MTB's before, they seemed to do their job well enough. Same question as above, is their a specific cleat I need or should any Time cleat work with this type of shoe? Same question with pedals, is there anything specific that I need in regard to using them with this style shoe.

So if tl;dr, but your opinions would be greatly appreciated on the matter, especially regarding the ladies set-up, cause i'm hoping that if I surprise her with new bike stuff she can't get mad at me for purchasing new bike stuff for myself, ya?

Thanks & I'm truly sorry that this question doesn't relate to frame sizing or whether or not I should buy a kilo TT. Gotta switch it up on ya'll every once in a while.