Old 06-09-13, 10:32 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
B. Carfree,
Thanks for your commentary on Davis. I guess "build it and they will come" did not work as planned in Davis.

PS: When bekologist starts littering his posts with incoherent text, random images, mis-quotes, and strawmen he is really just waving the rhetorical white flag.
It's always entertaining how he attacks anyone who actually lives in the places he wants to claim are fantastic places for cycling. Somehow, experience with crappy "improvements" (as opposed to actual improvements, which do exist) is less valid than some bureaucratic plan put together by people who don't have to ride in the messes they create. Of course, in the long run most of the new cyclists will either become former cyclists or they will get enough knowledge and experience to join the fight against segregation, or at least stop supporting its implementation. I suspect people like bek are so strident because they sense they are on the wrong side of history here but are emotionally invested in a segregated outcome.

It's funny that he chooses to argue that the incredible ridership we once had in Davis could not have been and that the current numbers are bloated and deceiving when he could chat up some of the old faculty who were at U.C. Davis and ask them for their opinions on the changes over the years. Many of them are still on campus like Roy Doi, Richard Criddle, Sterling Chaykin, Ray Rodriguez, Kenneth C. Burtis (undergrad in the '70s, faculty since ~1990). I guess it's just too easy to dismiss inconvenient perceptions that differ from his own. Funny enough, almost all of those folks stopped riding their bikes in the '80s. Hmm.

I'm still not sure if his reading comprehension issues stem from his childishness or if he is actually just a bot. Perversely, I find his ramblings kind of entertaining the first couple of times, but he or his programmer really need to avoid getting stuck in those useless loops of repetition.