Old 06-12-13, 05:28 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vikz
hello folks! I finally broke the 40 mph speed on my decent today!!I know its probably nothing for most of you but i'm very happy that I finally did it!! before this my top speed was 38.5MPH on a different decent and I told myself I will try and go for 40mph next time..But on the downside I did not make it to the summit of my climb!.
I have done it before and here is the screen shot from strava, i did it 13 days ago.
I went into the high 60s (kph) down a 14% gradient. It worked out something like 42mph.

The second time I rode down the hill I was stuck behind some idiot who overtook me only to swing in front of me and then go down the hill with his brakes on. So I was doing about 60kph and stuck behind a jerk in a BMW.

ETA: Some hills near where I live are quite steep and sustained but are also narrow and winding with hazards like gravel patches and potholes. If they were straighter I'd probably get to similar speeds more often but don't fancy taking a tight corner only to hit gravel or find someone coming up the hill. The closest I ever came to a fast meeting with the road was when I misjudged a turn, dodged some gravel only to go off the edge of the road, and got back onto the road only to hit another patch of gravel. I still don't quite know how I stayed upright through that.

Last edited by contango; 06-12-13 at 05:32 PM.