Old 07-15-13, 03:58 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Icculus21
For those of you who have actually done these fittings, have you changed out components on a bike to make it a better fit? Should the LBS swap out different size components for no cost? Did you really feel a significant difference?

I'm wondering what kind of benefit I will gain from paying extra money for a 'real' fitting, and possibly having to shell out even more for different components...
When doing a "frame up" build for a customer every component from the frameset, groupo, bars, crank length, gearing and a whole mess of stuff is spec'ed and assembled for that individual. Not an inexpensive process but the customer, usually an experienced rider who wants a particular build (velodrome, road, cyclo cross, randonneur, touring, etc.), gets what they pay for in exact component spec and individual fitting expertise. Having a custom frame built is required by some riders and is even more involved in time, $ and thought.

Off the rack factory bikes are something else. The mfg specs to suit the flavor of the season, margin requirements and an "average" customer.
Fine tuning to better fit an individual is best negotiated up front with the selling shop. Having a clear understanding of the cost of time, value of "take off" and cost to you of replacement components is essential in the relationship.

Considering that there is no such thing as a Free Lunch and it does take time and miles to get a true feel for a new machine ride what you have and get used to it while keeping an open dialogue w/ your LBS. That said if the bike is sized correctly having a Pro fit is a good idea but all good things in life will cost. As you gain experience and mileage your requirements will also change and so the feedback loop goes around.

PS

"Did you really feel a significant difference?"

Not really, unless my customer bought beers for the shop.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 07-15-13 at 04:06 PM.