Old 07-15-13, 06:20 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I'd say there are two schools of thought on fitting.

The first is that if you are not experienced and are not interested in putting in the effort to learn, a bike fit can be very helpful. It won't be a miracle, but it can make you comfortable and more efficient.

The second is that bike fit cannot be learned without many years of experience and cannot be done without lasers and other exotic tools, and that finding the right guru will result in unbelievable gains in your riding.

If the first category sounds reasonable to you, then you probably will not be disappointed. You may try some of the free online software (I'm pretty impressed by the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator) first and see if that is satisfactory.

If the second category sounds reasonable to you, then you should probably ignore anything I post on the topic.
I pretty much disagree all around. First, the competitive cyclist fit calculator is pretty poor for a number of reasons, most obviously because in 2013 they're still using seat tube length as a proxy for front end height.

Secondly, neither of your "two schools" really gets it. See, people are physically different and have different objectives which means that broad statements without the right context are rather empty. So, for example, if you're relatively healthy without special physical needs and don't put in a large amount of miles, a fit is likely overkill. Get on a bike that's close enough to your size, and you'll be fine. However, as your mileage increases and if you start competing, you'll stress your body more and any issues you might have been able to ignore previously become magnified. You may find an experienced pro can do something for you. Further, as you age and if you have physical limitations or unusual proportions, you may also find a fitting can bring a great deal of relief.

So my advice is, if you're new to the sport and don't have known physical limitations, just ride your bike for a while. Eventually, you'll figure out when and if it becomes time to see a fitter. When you do, look for someone experienced, preferably with a background in biomechanics. Talk to your peers about who they trust. Ignore whatever branded fit system they use.

I think part of the reason results vary so much is that there's really no regulation of what it means to be a "fitter". There are people advertising themselves as "pro fitters" who bought a fit system and went to a weekend seminar and there are people who are trusted by hundreds of riders with decades of experience.