Old 09-23-13, 07:50 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Depends on the type of riding, wx conditions, distance, exertion level, and your personal physiology. For example, I'm a roadie, usually avoid wet conditions, typical rides are 1.5-3 hrs going at a good clip. I don't have a particular issue with circulation or getting cold hands or feet as some may. For 32-40F I use a beanie and helmet cover, thick thermal long sleeve jersey, uninsulated jacket with windstopper in the front, tights with windstopper fronts, moderately heavy socks, windproof shoe covers, thinly insulated long fingered gloves. Back fabric of the jacket and of the tights is normal highly wind permeable fabric to help dissipate sweat. Shoes are roomy enough to not restrict blood flow. This stuff is all close fitting to avoid flapping and ballooning.

With this getup, I start out feeling cold and it takes 20-30 minutes to get up to operating temperature. I then use the jacket zipper to try to regulate temp and moderate sweat. If I'm not careful, I can get soaked with sweat and start getting cold toward the end of longer rides. If I stop for any length of time mid-ride, I get soaked and will likely be cold from then on.

Casual sightseeing rides, commuting or running errands require different strategies.

Last edited by Looigi; 09-23-13 at 07:54 AM.