Old 10-18-13, 01:47 PM
AlanC8

Bikes: 1. Alan 1994 classic, 2. Sunday Cycles Titanium, 3. Vitus SVRS, 4. BH bikes MTB, 5 Vitus Seven.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo Asymmetrical BB - Easy solution or am I missing something?

I'm building my first retro project, and faced with the issue of damaged threads in the BB shell, I have decided to go with a cartridge threadless BB. That's the easy stuff, I think. Now, I'm looking for a chainset/crankset from about late 70s/early 80s, and ideally I'd like to go with Campagnolo, but the issue of asymmetrical BBs is scaring me, especially as I want to use a cheap threadless bb (not Phil Woods) all of which are symmetrical.
Here is question (and my solution - is it too easy?) :
If I can figure out the offset (in mm) in the asymmetrical BB that I should use for a particular Campag Chainset, can I simply add that value to overall BB spindle length to come up with a new BB length for the threadless BB?
I know I may have to take spindle taper standards into account as well (but I believe that Campag were close enough to JIS during the period I'm looking at) - also I will be using downtube friction shifters so don't have to worry about the finer tolerances of STI/Index. I also realise that this solution may "push out" the non drive side crank by a few mm more than it should be (but that is a small price to pay for having Campag).
If my solution is looking good, does anyone know where I can get a list of Campagnolo BB specifications which include the offset (or difference between drive side and non drive side spindle lengths).
Thanks in anticipation of any replies (my fall back solution is to go Shimano 600).