View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 09:34 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
It might help if you posted exactly what kind of jacket you have now. Also, what else do you want from the replacement besides temperature and perspiration control? Packability? Water-resistant?

I have never toured with it, but I have a Showers Pass Touring jacket (you can find it on closeout with some vendors as it has been replaced by Showers Pass Transit jacket). Windproof, water-resistant, excellent selection of options for ventilation control with velcro-adjustable cuffs, large armpit zippers, a two-way front zipper and a large back vent. I can let air circulate up the arms (open the cuffs to act as air-intakes). If that's too cold, then I can open the armpit zippers various amounts to let air circulate around my back without getting cold air on my chest.

Sized to wear layers under it, I have been comfortable wearing it over a base layer and jersey in cool weather. I can add a polartec vest under it if the weather is colder. I have worn various combinations well in the mid-30 degree F range and have been comfortable and not sweat-soaked.

The only downside is it does not pack down to a very small size.

I think in your case, your primary need is a large back vent and armpit zippers on your next jacket. Good luck with your search.