View Single Post
Old 12-07-13, 02:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7397 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't see that liking cycling, or even preferring it to driving needs to imply not liking driving. The two are unrelated, and one may like both or nether, or may prefer one to the other depending on the circumstances.

I made a decision to not drive at all 4 years ago as part of an Independence day celebration. (Independence from OPEC). My initial goal, was one month, extended to all summer, then to Oct 31 (based on weather in NY area), then to as long as possible, and when Spring came and I was still going strong, surrendered my plates and cancelled the insurance.

However I still enjoy driving, and sometimes rent cars for intercity trips, and have delivered cars to other cities for family and friends. I've proven to myself that I don't need a car for daily life, but now it's only about money, and I find occasional renting much less expensive than insurance and maintenance. BUT I still enjoy driving whenever I do.
Still, that's a really good story. Whatever your reasons for driving less, I think it's progress.

I love driving to our country place, because of where I'll end up. I even love driving home from the country, because being there put me in a good mood. Also, the traffic on these commutes is usually low stress, compared with most other drives.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.