Old 02-27-14, 07:51 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Am I the only one smiling through the weather lately?

I know that I'm at the extreme end of the bell curve WRT to bike commuting--even here. But I can't help wondering if I'm the only one who's enjoying February.

Maybe it's because I was sick for the whole week of the 10th. I was off the bike for nine days straight, the longest stretch since I was hit by that car in April 2008.

I suffered mightily during the week of the 17th. Between the residual fatigue and weakness from whatever it was that I'd had (it really hit me hard) and the loss of muscle tone, every ride was a real chore. Yet, I pushed beyond just the same, and by the end of every ride, was enjoying myself.

This week, well today was the worst so far. Single-digits, winds in the 20s and 30s, and snowing. I took one of my longer routes because it's both protected from the wind most of the way, and is very low-traffic. I had a blast.

Climbing into the wind and snow, I was suprised to find a smile plastered to my face. I got to work wishing the ride had been just a bit further. Coming home tonight, same conditions, only it had been snowing on and off all day. As the winter wears on, the city is doing less and less to the side streets, which makes conditions better for me--no brown sugar.

I arrived home, happy as a clam. Not the least bit chilled, and as I had earlier, I wished the ride had been just a bit longer.

I'm subbing at another library tomorrow and Saturday. Weather and road conditions are forecast to be about the same as today. I find myself looking forward to the commutes, almost as much as I'm looking forward to the larger check.

So how about you?