In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 331 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
availability of very high-speed internet
We've been able to get high-speed wireless internet wherever we go ... but one of the places we lived was in a little bit of a dead zone when the wind came up. Not sure why exactly, but if the wind was really strong, it was almost a lost cause to maintain an internet connection for more than about 5 min.

Originally Posted by lasauge
4. Kitchen with decent counter space, decent oven and stove, and storage space for lots of pots, pans, spices, huge sacks/bins of oats, rice, flour, etc.
5. Natural light during the day in my main room
I wondered if anyone would mention the kitchen. On the home shows I watch, the kitchen always seems to be the most important room in the house. I've never really cared about what kind of kitchen a place has, but gradually a few kitchen features have moved up the importance list ... one is a dishwasher. We have one in our current house and the one before, and I'm hooked. They're great!! Another is storage. And something that is not common in Australian houses are upper cupboards. I don't know why they're so uncommon, but it means we've got to have a pantry.

Originally Posted by sauerwald
One thing that has helped, and which didn't exist here 5 years ago is Zipcar - I just wish they had more locations close to work and home.
What is a Zipcar?

Originally Posted by bulevardi
1) needed to be a kind of holiday feeling in the house, as if you rent a cosy cottage in the mountains. It needed a garden too.
If you stay at home, you think you're abroad.
Nice! And you got that?

We lived in one house for about 6 months that had a bit of that feel. I like going away somewhere about once a month, travelling, but when we lived there, I didn't want to leave. I loved that house ... still do. But we had to move for work. I would have happily brought that house with us if I could.

Originally Posted by wipekitty
6) Something cool and older - 1940s or earlier.
And the house I mentioned above was like that ... possibly 80+ years old, but very nicely renovated. It was gorgeous!! Even though we could only be there a short time, I felt privileged to have the opportunity ... and I really hope to have that opportunity again some time.

Last edited by Machka; 07-12-14 at 07:29 AM.