View Single Post
Old 08-21-14, 04:28 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Here's my much loved and much mentioned Europa. I bought her new in the eighties and have used her on and off ever since. Most of those years she served with her original wheels and gears and stuff but with the purchase of a (since sold in disgust) new bike about eight years ago, she was converted to fixed gear. Once it became obvious that she was still the only bike I rode, I commissioned the Hillbrick. This left the Europa at a loose end again so she was converted back to gears, initially with Ultegra 9 speed bits. Those bits started to piss me off immensely, especially the shifting, so eventually I changed to Retroshifters (you can just make them out on the brake levers), easily the best geared move I've ever made and I now have guaranteed shifting everytime with levers as close to being under my fingers as suits my albeit modest needs. The wheelset is a bit naff being a recent, budget purchase, but it's working. She's photographed at work - she continues to serve as my commuter when I'm too out of shape to climb back up 'that sodding hill' on the Hillbrick (fixed gear) ... and she's still as loved as she's ever been.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
europa.jpg (84.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by europa; 08-21-14 at 04:37 AM.