Old 09-08-14, 08:42 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Pakiwi
I normally ride alone except for a group ride with the local D group riders from our local Lbs.
There is a group of us that have Strava accounts and we say when we are going for a ride. Anyway I decided to announce it and I got one guy who was interested in riding with me.
I did a 20 mile loop. We stopped at a top of a hill so he could have a water break and I slowed down my pace by about 2 mph. It turned out to be a zone two ride.
We get in to the end and he says to me, your a pretty strong rider considering all the weight your carrying.
What he doesn't know is the work I have put in, nor seen how far I have come. I believe I am a strong rider despite the weight I carry.
I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it. Now I know why I like to ride alone.
Allan
He was complimenting you. Take it as such. A great response would have been "Thanks, it hasn't always been that way. When I started I ...." and suddenly it is a nice conversation.

Many times those of us on a long weight and health journey are a bit sensitive. And of course we run into people who are just jerks. This guy sounded like he was handing you a compliment so allow it to come through as such.

And.... be proud of how far you have come. Use your successes, failures and more successes inspire those around you to do the same.