View Single Post
Old 09-09-14, 09:01 AM
daniel11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Be very wary about bidding on a bicycle on ebay unless you know what frame size you need and that the bike is that frame size. Many sellers don't have a clue about size except that they rode the bike and how tall they are. It might not have been the right size for them either. Don't be fooled by a low price listed on an auction. The selling price is almost always higher and can go much higher just as the auction closes as bargain hunters try to beat the clock on the auction. Try to find "buy it now" so you know exactly how much it might cost and you don't waste weeks waiting for the auction to close.

The Focus Whistler 2 retails for 560 Euros including VAT. You are getting it at about half price. The component quality is low but not the lowest. Shimano Althus parts are 3rd from the bottom on a list of 11 for Shimano MTB parts. Remember that you usually don't get a factory warranty on a used bike. Check it VERY carefully. Rental bikes sometimes get abused by the renters. After all, it is not their bike. I've seen kids ride rental bikes into a lake. Most of us wouldn't do that to our own bikes. The positive thing is that if the rental shop is honest they will sell you a bike that fits you.
Thanks for that. I have decided against getting the Whistler now as it is not the best bike and likely to be stolen.
As an alternative I have been looking at GT AGGRESSOR 3 MOUNTAIN BIKE ROCKSHOX AVID SHIMANO MTB | eBay
Which seems to be genuine. It has a better written listing than most and tells all the details. It specifies a frame size of 18in which is the same as my current bike. I have enquired about the spec and condition. It's buy it now which is a bonus.
Is it an OK bike?
Thanks Daniel