Old 09-16-14, 09:25 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing specific on these bikes - I hadn't heard of any of them before reading your post - but my wife and I have been through the growing toddler to kid stages with a couple of different bikes and trailers and tagalongs, and we commute frequently, so a couple of your points/questions did prompt me.

Re, number of gears: if you live somewhere flatish, a 3 speed should be pretty adequate for most purposes - but pulling a trailer isn't most circumstances. And if you may be pulling a trailer with a kid and some groceries up a hill, you will want a very low granny gear indeed.

The more I ride, the more I think much of bike purchases and types are aesthetic choices. MTB, hybrid, fixed gear, roadie; they'll all work for most of what any of us do. Minor trade offs here and there, but it's mostly a question of whether this or that bike matches your style. Does looking at that color just make you want to ride? If so, you'll probably like that bike.

Most of the bikes you cited are quite similar types of bike. In such a case, I think two major factors come into play far more important than brands. 1) go ride them and see which one simply feels/fits better, and 2) which one(s) is/are carried by the bike store that's local to you, has good mechanics, and gives you good service. My favorite LBS carries a few brands of road bike. The place across town carries different brands. Nothing on any of those brands is nearly as much a factor in my long term cycling experience as the good store that argued with Cannondale and got me a free wheel upgrade when the original stock wheels didn't work for me (for instance).

The chainring guard on my commuter broke off ages ago and I haven't missed it - but I do wear bike-friendly clothes and change when I get to work. It may make more difference if you're wearing regular clothes (bell bottoms?).

I can't see internal hub vs. derailleur making any difference vis a vis your clothing.

Unless you and your husband are remarkably similar in size and fit, I'd lean toward getting two different bikes. These are some fairly spendy bikes you're looking at; you could probably get each your own bike better suited to your size and preferences (not to mention saddle fit) for the same money. Probably not as stylish as these, though

Finally, as for anything that involves parenting, be ready for all the needs to change. You will have this all figured out, and then turn around and your kid is riding his/her own bike. But not very far, so you have to ride along with them until they get tired, then stow their bike on top of the trailer on your husband's bike while the kiddo rides a tagalong behind your bike. Then when you think that's all figured out, they'll change again. So 'flexible' needs to be your new favorite word.

Last edited by alathIN; 09-16-14 at 09:31 PM.