Old 10-12-14, 03:44 PM
Skankingbiker

Bikes: AllCity Nature Boy, On-one Pompino) , Fuji Roubaix road bike, Niner EMD, Voodoo Hoodoo MTB, Surly Pugsley/Krampug, Performer Midracer Custom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
1st race...sucked golf balls through garden hose

Did my first cx race ever today. Rode Cat 5 newbie race.

I rode my single speed commuter geared at 36x19, because that is all I had. Came into the race not feeling good after I twinged my hip flexor at practice earlier this week. Oh, and I weigh 215 and did not get to get much riding in this year except in the last two months (mostly mtb biking and then 3-5 cx practices).

......needless to say, I finished DFL....in fact, I may have even gotten a DNF, because I was lapped 50 yards before the finish line, so I did not get to do my 4th lap.....not that I had anything left in the tank for a fourth lap anyhow.

First lap felt good. Sprinted out of the box. It was an uphill sprint into a bunch of ziggy zaggies....did really well here. Even did well on the barriers, first run up, and off camber descents. Then we had a small flat area. I was completely spun out and got passed. First steep hill was singletrack. I got knocked to the side and needed to walk up.... passed a lot again. Up two more sets of hills...still feeling "ok" but sucking air big time. fast descent into a hairpin turn with frost on the ground = fishtail and wipeout. Next big hill I had to walk the whole thing.....my legs felt like lead weights at this point. Was still hanging in there ...even passed some people on the twisty turnies...as roadies dont seem to know how to corner and brake inside the turns instead of before. Then, those big hills just killed me on the second lap. Got passed by the last Cat 5 guy, then started to get passed by the juniors. Barfed on the third lap.

The finish, like the start, was uphill. Even with my low gearing, I just had to legs. Cardio-wise I was ok....legs just left like lead..they wouldn't move. Barfed again at the end (just mucus). Got lapped on the last hill 50 yards before the finish. Coughed for 2 hours after due to cold air in lungs. 5 hours later, my legs just wont move.

20141012_101522_1-1 by T_MB, on Flickr

Badger prairie cross by T_MB, on Flickr