View Single Post
Old 12-24-14, 07:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Winter riding is different than summer riding.

Originally Posted by rholland1951
It definitely is different. I sometimes think that when we ride in the cold, less is taken for granted by our bodies--we ride to stay warm, but if we ride too fast, our self-generated wind chill lets the cold steal in; hill climbs warm us, descents chill us, and we stop pedaling at our peril. Riding surfaces become complex, interesting but sometimes treacherous: this triggers an unaccustomed degree of feral attentive focus in our urbane and protected selves. Our little bubble of personal space shrinks a bit, and the index of refraction between ourselves and the surrounding world changes. There is also a deep quiet that, paradoxically, can be heard, and that in turn allows our mental contents to speak up and be recognized. It takes us a little longer to get where we're going, and we work a little harder to get there, but we see a little more of where we've been.
Lyrical description, Rod. More prosaically, I think about myself hunkering down, physically within my own outermost layers, and mentally within my attention to the immediate environment around me and to my own thoughts about whatever. It’s most pronounced in the early morning darkneess and doesn’t occur in the nice weather. I call it cocooning, and it's a comfortable feeling, making winter riding enjoyable.