View Single Post
Old 01-21-15, 08:33 PM
arex
Abuse Magnet

Bikes: '91 Mtn Tek Vertical, '74 Raleigh Sports, '72 Raleigh Twenty, '84 Univega Gran Turismo, '09 Surly Karate Monkey, '92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, '86 Miyata 310, '76 Raleigh Shopper

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
No, I suspect it would make it worse. It would remove the negative voltage from the left side and the positive voltage from the right side (using the terms left and right arbitrarily) so flashing would be half as frequent. And you'd be pumping half the power through your bulb.

You're thinking of a capacitor, perhaps.
I thought a bridge rectifier was made for converting AC to DC (albeit not quite perfectly)...basically converting the sine wave to, gah, what's it called...the voltage would be converted to all-positive, but with dropping-to-zero pulsing, rather than dropping way down into the negative for half the cycle. It would dim, but it wouldn't be shut off entirely for half the cycle...this is assuming the use of an LED rather than a bulb.

I know what I'm trying to say, but I'm having trouble describing it. You'd probably use a capacitor to smooth it out, but a bridge could be used as-is. It'd be a huge improvement (but imperfect) over the existing situation.