View Single Post
Old 02-06-15, 10:06 AM
Old_Roadie

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Roubaix Pro - Ultegra Drive train - Dura Ave 7900 C24 TLs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

Those of you who ride with blood thinners, how did it affect your cycling when you got put on them, and what kinds of adjustments did you have to make a year or more later?
First, I am sure you are aware of this, everyone is different, and so the advice to get the Cardiologist involved is good advice.

I have heart issues, never actually had a heart attack. In fact it was cycling that indicated that something had changed and that I should go to the cardiologist.

I have had a 4x bypass, subsequent stent, and have a pacemaker implanted.
I am on ACE inhibitors, a Beta blocker, a Statin, and a blood thinner.

I have averaged 4k a year since the bypass, and for the most part I am stronger than I was before the surgery.
I cannot ride with the club when they go up hills because I go into heart block, that is why I have the pacemaker, but that is an electrical issue.

My cardiologist is a cyclist and a runner and he is very supportive of my cycling. My wife asked him if I should be cycling and he said that is why we do this, so he can cycle.

I am actually just as fast or faster now because I am getting more blood flow. I honestly do not notice any issue from the meds.